Monday August 4 -- word came in a phone call as I was in Napa Valley talking to Merry about how our painter had spilled a gallon of pink paint as he painted Georgia's new bedroom. It was the birth dad on the phone to tell me that birth mom was heading to the hospital at four centimeters dilated with contractions. I told him I would be on the next flight home and we would be at the hospital by the next evening. My heart started racing and the adrenaline started pumping.
I switched over to my call with Merry and told her the news. We had been creating a pile of baby supplies and other items by the front door in case we got the call, but it wasn't all there yet. She was distrought..."No not yet!" and "My moses basket hasn't arrived yet!" I told her as calmly as possible, "Sweetie, this baby is coming and she is coming now!"
We hashed out our plan: I would take the redeye from San Francisco, we would rebook Mom to fly in around the same time and she would get everything packed for us to leave for Maryland.
Back in Atlanta, Merry's dad Larry came by to support (calm her down) like he does so well. Sister Stephanie came over with dinner and helped her pack for the big trip. She packed for 10 days...that is the expected clearance time is for interstate adoptions. Calls poured in from Mom and neice Bethany as they excitedly told of their shopping trip to buy clothes for little Georgia. Bethany is especially glad to have another girl in the family--go Girl Power!