Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Journey

1:30am EST - August 5th

I called Mom to give her a wake up call in Canada and she had already been up and had a very, very early breakfast. The airporter was picking her up in an hour. Meanwhile, my flight was delayed...I fly all year and don't get a delay and in two weeks I get delayed all over the place! Just when I was about to panic, like last time, they cancelled the plane and ordered up a new one. We were a little behind, but the captain thought he could make up the time in the air.

I tried to relax and get some rest of the plane, but there was too much to think about. On the ground, I raced to my Mom's gate and picked her up. We walked outside baggage claim and Merry & Cole were there to meet us. Georgia, you have one amazing Mommie...she and sister Stephanie were up at 3:30am, packed the entire car and had Cole looking spiffy as we packed up the Suburban and headed on the road.

Good start?

We weren't on the road 5 mintues when Cole threw up all over his car seat. Milk, eggs, cereal and yogurt were all over him. Believe this is not what you want to smell in the car for the next 12 hours! We stopped and got our little man cleaned up and we were back on the road. Cole slept for the next few hours and we hummed along I-20 to I-95 through South Carolina, North Carolina into Virginia and up into Southern Maryland.

We couldn't get to the hospital quick enough. About an hour out of town, we received a call from the birth parents. They were checking out of the hospital, it was just going to be too painful to say goodbye with us around. They left us a beautiful photo album of themselves along with some letters that we'll hold for little Georgia as soon as she is ready to read them. As I relayed my conversation to Merry, Mom and Cole everyone fell silent. We all felt saddened and experienced by the pain they must have been going through by leaving their little girl.